Friday, October 30, 2009

Berber carpet















Scott and I set out on a field trip with Achmed, our Moroccan friend. He's a Berber that we happened to meet in our first class compartment on the "Marrakesh Express" from Casablanca. An accountant for the Moroccan National railroad who lives in Marrakesh, Achmed took an interest in us and things developed from there.... We have bulit a wonderful friendship. He speaks good English, has a dog, drinks wine and laughs at my jokes so it's not exactly your typical Muslim that we've befriended.
So we got up early this morning, our new friend joined us, and we hired a car and driver to go to the weekly "Berber market" about 30 miles out of town. The main market day for this community, it is a Berber-only affair and we were the only over-sized white-tourists (indeed Scott was wearing a Hawaii print shirt) in the big market day crowd of 2-3 thousand seller and buyers. That was a total scene, including a special "donkey/burro parking lot" where you leave your beast of burden with an attendant while you shop.
I'll do my best to describe the traditional Berber market in more detail later, including how Scott and I escaped an encounter with a gang of 5 pickpockets. Scott has the best photos and descriptions and I'll link to them when he finally posts 'em to net. (I have a collage of some of the Berber market sights and scenes posted below).
Later, we drove up into the foothills of the High Atlas mountains and visited a traditional Berber home and have lunch with a view toward the 12,000 foot peaks, the highest in North Africa. On the way, we stopped at a artisan coop and I made my first-ever major carpet purchase. The photo (above) is my friendly Berber carpet salesman and some of his inventory.

No comments: